Sunday, March 1, 2009

addie the brave...mom the wimp


sooooo....i remember when greg and i finally got pregnant. one of the first things we said to each other is that we hoped our child would only ever have to go Children's Hospital because we were visiting greg at work.

which brings me to yesterday...when addie decided to once again, show us who's boss.

my sweet little girl came home weds with a level 12 jaundice...15 is bad so they told us to watch her color.

thank god my mom came over yesterday - maybe i didn't want to see it, maybe i thought having her sit in the light of the window was enough...but she was so yellow she was orange. and my very smart mom made me call the doctor.

we were immediately referred to Children's ER...and with every doctor or nurse we got the same reaction "wow, she has a terrific tan..." i have to say, it is WAY more traumatic to the mom than it is to the baby - but seeing her so helpless and pinned down and pricked with an needle was more than i could handle. her little arm, stretched out and taped up just made me lose it. i practically cried for the entire three hours we were there, especially when they said she could possibly be admitted for the night.

in the end, she had a level of 13.2 and we were sent home. poor little girl was all turned around for the night, but she survived. and i am thinking, she has another thing in common with her daddy...his tolerance for pain. thank god.

and thank god for all the nurses and doctors at Children's...they did such an incredible job comforting my daughter and attempting to comfort crazy mommy. one more reason to love cincinnati.

2 comments:

Anna, www.mylifeandkids.com said...

Meg - Congratulations! Loved your note about Nancy - wasn't she great!? Miles had to spend the night at Children's when his level reached 15, and poor Alice had to spend the night when her level reached 18!! Like you said - it's always harder on the parents than it is on the child. Glad you didn't have to stay the night. Addie's tan will be gone before you know it. :)

Unknown said...

Meg - No worries about this - I was under sun lamps or something for days when I was born because of my jaundice... And look how beautiful my skin turned out? Okay okay, I am often mistaken for latino now, but its not soooo bad.

-brendan