Saturday, January 24, 2009

breathe through your nose...in and out...

so today, from 9 am to 4 pm, daddy to be and i were sitting in the most uncomfortable chairs.

oh,

and we were learning about birth.

i think they tell you to bring two pillows and a blanket cause you will need to pile them up to sit on in the chairs they offer.

yea, i learned stuff...but mostly i had seen it before...either LIVE at the three births i have witnessed...or i have taught it in a sex class.

and of course, right away, i get pinned as the "one who doesn't want pain", which meant that everytime something was described as painful, the instructor looked at me and grimaced.

what was kinda frustrating was the breastfeeding lecture. i kinda felt bombarded with the laundry list of things your child will be if you breastfeed. and i felt like yelling, 'HEY I WASN'T BREASTFED, AND I AM A SMART, SOLID-BONED, DISEASE-LESS ADULT'

which i don't think would have done a lick of good. since 'breastmilk is best' was the message pressed upon today.

the only reason i say that is cause i am not sure i am going to...i mean, i haven't made up my mind and frankly, i shouldn't have to make up my mind based on threats that my child may have a lower IQ, learning disabilities, a harder time bonding with me, and be on the path to a list of diseases later in life. OR that i will have a harder time losing weight, or have a harder time shrinking my uterus back, or lose that precious bonding connection that skin on skin gives. especially when NONE of that is 100% true.

ok, i am off my 'breast' box. it's just that i don't think that it is a decision that should be made for me. so back off nurses.

other than that, greg was hysterical, being innappropriate whenever possible, and totally disgusted at the part in the video where the placenta is put in the pan. i myself have seen three of them, and find it to be the most fascinating part besides when there is JUST a head poking out of the mom. i just found it annoying that they only spotlighted three women who went natural in the video...i mean, what am i supposed to connect to...there is no way i am doing this without drugs, and i don't think anyone in that room wants me to attempt that.

so yea, it was 7 hours of sitting uncomfortably. now i have to go, and practice my breathing.
in through the nose, out through the nose, short controlled breaths....

4 comments:

Julianne said...

1.It's only a few IQ points difference.
2.As a mom you will feel guilty about everything. You will not need help feeling guilty. People should support your decision to breastfeed or not, or shut their mouths.
3.Epidurals can be wonderful. You will experience plenty of the labor pains even with an epidural.. Mine didn't kick in until I was 10cm. So I rec getting on the waiting list quickly if you want one. Either way, at the end you have a baby and your a mom.
4.I'm enjoying your countdown to baby time. Good luck! You'll do great and your story will be all your own!

emily the mom said...

You are going to be a fantastic mom no matter what you do with your boobs. Don't let anybody tell you different!

I wish I had more solace to over the pain, but I skipped that part. darn.

Janszen Schneider said...

Meg,

Solid Bone and disease-less, I agree with, but smart..... hmmm??!!??!! jury is still out on that part. Think about the money you would save not buying formula. You could probably produce enough for PJ, if you freeze it, for a couple years!!! :-)
Have a good one,
Your brother

somedaymama said...

uh...smart is knowing a very generous friend who works with Enfamil and can get it to us in bulk...

so there janszen..take that smarty..and hey, I too have my master's degree...